Pages

Sunday 12 May 2013

An Unexpected Find...

Had a nice break from the painting today - energy levels have been running low a little lately what with working flat out at school and spending my (late) evenings frantically getting the next LPL entry ready!


Elvington Air Museum has proven a popular destination with the kids previously and this weekend it was the venue for Battle Group North.



Despite the weather we had a great time admiring all the hardware, along with flying displays, the Dakota powering up its engines and most spectacularly fast taxi runs by the Buccaneer and Handley Page Victor K2, pictured below.


Anyway, imagine my surprise (and the wife's suspicion!) when, on entering one of the main hangers to take refuge from the rain, we found a goodly number of gaming tables running demo games of Bolt Action, Flames of War and various other WW2 games! What's more there were stands from various historical miniature and scenery companies and a good sized one from Foundry.


After a good mooch around admiring the games in progress (I could definitely be persuaded into a bit of WW2 gaming!), a decent chat with the Foundry staff and a good look at their ranges in the flesh (those Kodiak bears are huge!) I happened across another stall that harboured a veritable treasure trove.

Among many many blister packs of old Citadel miniatures including Space Fleet ships, Nurglings, and other delights - beyond the 4 blister packs for the price of 3 offer for Harlequin miniatures including many lovely Kev Adams Orcs, there were several of the old hard clear plastic Regiment of Renown box sets. Sadly finances are a little tight at the moment so I knew most of this loot was out of my reach, but I resolved to get me some RoR!

But what to choose - Maruader Orc regiment, Mengil's Manflayers or...





... the Avenging Knights of the Cleansing Flame!

A good day definitely had by me!

16 comments:

  1. Good for you, a nice find, and you managed to get the full command group with them as well.
    Have fun painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - that's what swayed me - and the wife, after I told her I could easily spend double tracking them down individually on ebay!

      Delete
  2. Oh man they look awesome! Great finde fellah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Minitrol - its nice to have them to add a bit of colour to my Old World Alliance.

      Delete
  3. Well done, it's great when you stumble across a hoard of goodies like that.(Even better when the wife is not monitoring outlay...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually she was stood right next to me with eyebrows firmly raised. In fact the eyebrows had been set to disapproving the moment she saw the gaming tables in the large hangar - as I had engineered the whole thing... ;)

      Delete
  4. Great find - I love these old plastic boxes. I could buy a set just for the box :) /Hans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - seeing them brought back memories of picking up the Marauder Thug Archer regiment at one of the GW Games Days I went to at the NEC many years ago.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations. I've gotta get myself down to some shows - My usual bargain hunting sites - car boot sales - haven't turned up anything of interest for a long time now.

    As an aside, we had our Grad Ball at Elvington Air Museum - I saw Terrorvision in the great big hangar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy - I was surprised to see a wargaming presence at Battle Group North as I'd just assumed it would be re-enactors and Military vehicles and planes. Last car boot I went to I saw a load of epic stuff but it got snaffled before I had chance to get in there. Other than that its usually been lots of the newer plastic space orks and marines, heavily daubed in paint that little Johnny has obviously lost interest in!

      I used to love Terrorvision - definitely beats Wheatus playing Teenage Dirtbag three or four times over at my mate's Grad Ball down at Warwick!

      Are you an ex-York graduate then - I studied English Lit. there myself.

      Delete
    2. Yup, Biology, Wentworth, 1999.

      Delete
    3. Fancy that - Alcuin, 1999-2001 myself. Good times!

      Delete
  6. Nice find! I look forward to seeing them painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean - hopefully it'll be sometime this year!

      Delete
  7. Nice. That's a recurring dream of mine, finding a stall loaded with old goodies that are going for a song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is searching the house for minis I thought I owned once but never finding them!

      Delete